Friday, September 10, 2010

Negative People...

Tuesday night I went to a book signing, my first time. Unfortunately I brought along an incredibly negative person: my children's grandmother, their father's mother; and of course my two kids.

Sherrilyn Kenyon is one of the authors in my reading list. And she came to my town her first NC visit ever, so I had to go. OMG, J bitched the ENTIRE damn time! It was awful...didn't help my kids got stir crazy around hour two. I have a three and five year old. My five year old loves the opportunity to talk to any and everyone she can corner and my son...well he's all boy and he likes to show off when he's shy to get out of his box and winds up acting out. J takes my son outside for an hour or so while I'm waiting for my group to get called up.

In the mean time Diana Love is acting like the consummate hostess telling stories I'm sure Sherry will kick her ass for later, LOL, they have an awesome friendship; and she was passing out goodies. But the whole time I was more concerned with just getting it over with rather than enjoying myself and trying "TRYING" to be social, LOL. I'm one of those that stands in the background and sizes people up for a bit before I gauge what to say to people and how to talk to them. You get a sense of their personality and their cadence of speech and how they talk and what words they can understand, LMAO.

Yes I'm weird, have I not covered that yet?

But because I was so worked up about keeping the kids out, my daughter is in Kindergarten and it was a school night. I was afraid my son would tear the book store apart and in general I was just fucking miserable. No one I know in person has read Kenyon. I didn't know a single person there and I've never been one to just walk up to someone and start talking to them, well not since I became a moody emo/gothic teen anyway, LMAO. So there I sat, my daughter was chatting away at the person next to her and I was just miserable, because I let J get to me. She was bitching about the time, that she didn't like the fact that Sherry talked too much...I mean GOOD GOD! Fans love to hear their author's talk! No she'd never read anything, I even gave her a book and had it autographed for her and she's not read it. I actually gave her the book to read about six months ago. She had to dig for it for an hour to find it to bring it to the signing!

The only time I was able to relax and finally start chatting was while I waited the forty minutes standing in line waiting to get my books signed. Diana Love came over and started chatting with me and a few of the other women in line with us. Then here comes J, fussing about the time and everything else. Diana was sweet and played with my daughter for a few and laughed at my son.

And Sherry when I finally got up to her, my kids bombarded her. Bless her, she was so sweet about it. She stuck out her hand to shake my son's hand, and he looked up at her, knocked her hand aside and just hugged her, LOL. She actually laughed and said, "Well if I get a hug then I get to keep you." My kids are gargantuans. My five year old daughter is as tall as most 8 year olds. My three year old son is the size of a five or six year old. She simply told me they were great kids and said to never apologize she understood being a mom of three boys how children could be and after five hours she was completely impressed with them. Meanwhile, J is practically laying down in a huge chair, acting as if she were going to die if we didn't leave as soon as possible.

I got a quick picture with Sherry and had to leave...my son attacks her gifts that her fans had given her and tries to run off with a singing dragon. I reach for it and he throws with uncanny accuracy and bowls over both of the expensive Acheron and Simi dolls and I was, of course, embarrassed and what does Ms. Kenyon do? She laughs like hell says he has a great arm and he'll make mommy rich one day as either a football or baseball player, picks up the stuff, gives my son a final hug and continues with the next person in line.

LOL, it was actually not a half bad time, but 97% of it I was made to feel guilty and half the pleasure was sucked right out of something that should have been fun.

So, I suggest that if any of you out there plan on doing something like this...don't take a negative ninny old bitch with you.

--Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment