Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Your Special Place...

Most writer's a readers have a particular place they like to be. 

Readers like a well lit but quiet niche where they can lounge. A large bay window with a seat that overlooks a small garden. Or an overstuffed armchair in a cozy corner with a small lamp.

Writer's either like an airy open space whey they don't feel like the caged in creatures they're writing about. Then there are those that likes to be holed up with no outside communications, no internet, tablets, music, or phones. And there are the brave individuals that like windows.

I saw a beautiful picture today. A tiny little shed that had been converted into a playhouse. It was absolutely adorable. One side of it was all glass and opened out into a cute garden. It would be a beautiful place to curl up and read...yes...and I started thinking about an office...hmm...

The more I thought of it, I started mapping out where everything would go. My books, desk, computers, printers...the couch I would cry on when the crits and edits came in. I easily imagined it all. Seeing myself sitting there with the warm light flowing through the wall of windows...

Windows...oooh look there's a blue jay and a...what is that? Go to the other computer (the one with internet access so I could write uninterrupted) and Googled it...so many distractions. The flowers are pretty...and I find myself staring out the window looking at everything like a hidden pictures game.

Okay...turn the desk so I can't actively look out the window. 

Music...pull up Youtube and type in the most recent play list...an hour later, exhausted, out of breath from dancing and singing and clearly too tired to do any writing.

Damn...my imagination is just as bad about having Writer's ADD as I am! It was HORRIBLE!

I will stick to my tiny corner, hide the remote control, and write in silence! IT IS THE ONLY WAY!

And just like right now. I'm supposed to be working on the second story in my series getting it ready before I receive the edits on the first one that is due to come out in August...what am I doing? Writing a blog about the random imaginings of a clearly insane writer...

Ugh...

Good day
--Mel

1 comment:

  1. bawhahaha. My fav place to read is in the bathtub. I sit there until the water gets to cold and i start shaking and shivering. 1 of 2 things happen next. I either drain the water and fill it back up or I get out. 99% of the time I refill the tub. HAHA.

    easily distracted... YES... its taken me 30 mins to post this....

    ...another 10 mins later.... I might as well send...

    ReplyDelete